What is the 5S System?
The 5S system is a lean manufacturing tool that improves workplace efficiency and eliminates waste. There are five steps in the system, each starting with the letter S:
By providing a systematic framework for organisation and cleanliness, 5S helps facilities avoiding lost productivity from delayed work or unplanned downtime.
Lean Manufacturing is a way of thinking about productive systems with a focus on reducing the unnecessary — that is, eliminating wasted materials, effort, and time. This approach helps to improve overall productivity, quality, and profits. 5S fits naturally here, because it works toward a streamlined, organized, and clean workplace.
5S also fits into our Agile Manufacturing culture as an innovative UK designer and manufacturer.
What 5S improvements have HSP made?
Sort by clearing work areas and red tagging unknown items.
Set in order by creating a 5S map and shadow boards.
Shine with routine cleaning and preventative maintenance.
Standardise with update to date SOP’s, labels and checklists.
Sustain. As a whole business we are committed to making continuous improvements and developing all business processes and staff to deliver the best products and customer experience we can.
How 5S effects our customers
- Better time usage by eliminating unwanted materials and organizing machine shop tooling means improved lead times for our customers on both standard hydraulic components and development work.
- Less wasted space makes room for more useful applications and getting the most out of it can only be a good thing.
- Reduced equipment downtime through regular maintenance.
- Improved consistency and quality of all products manufactured.
- Increased production capacity through better time usage and increasing space for manufacturing processes.
What’s next for HSP?
HSP is continuously developing staff, procedures and production in line with overall business growth. Adding 3 new CNC machines and design capabilities we’re able to offer more hydraulic product with improved savings and lead times to our customers. We’re currently working on expanding our Valve range offering and we’re excited to add these to our Control Valves catalogue – available to download here.
We’re also more active on social media and encourage you to follow and interact with our pages. They are managed in house by Frances who you can connect with on LinkedIn here for exclusive content.
Follow our pages:
If you have any questions about this blog or would like to know more about how we can support your business with our large-scale hydraulic part production, prototyping and development capabilities please contact us using this form.